- To serve Hillsborough area residents and the surrounding areas, including but not limited to Deering, Antrim, Weare, Windsor, and Washington.
- To provide local groups a place to meet and conduct activities.
- To provide residents with tools to improve their well-being, socialize, and volunteer in their community.
- Create an inviting, non-threatening space for residents to participate in community programs.
- To create community outdoor space for exercise and learning.
- To provide indoor and covered spaces for exercise opportunities even during inclement weather.
The Benefits of a Community Center
- Promotes exercise and learning
- Boosts the local economy with jobs
- Convenient facilities
- Keeps adolescents safe
- Provides seniors with social opportunities
- Provides kitchen, meeting, and classroom space
- Adds value to the town
- Shows community investment and engagement
- The Center will serve as a hub for local partner community groups.
- The auditorium will give the Center the opportunity to host large-scale corporate events.
- The auditorium and stage will serve as a fun, up-to-date theatrical arts space.
- The banquet and kitchen area along with designated landscaped areas will serve as a unique wedding and reception facility, and will bring in considerable seasonal revenue from rental fees.
- Offer space for instructors to teach courses such as swimming, dance, art, etc.
- The competition-sized swimming pool will give the Center the opportunity to host a multitude of regional swimming events each year. The goal will be to host multiple meets per year which is expected to bring in a significant amount of revenue directly from fees charged to use the facility.
- The regulation-sized basketball court and auditorium will serve as a place for leagues and teams to play and host events.
- There are no private or public auditorium spaces (aside from the SAU school campus) that groups can rent for events such as weddings, corporate events, and expositions.
- There is no theatrical stage space for music groups, art, theatre, or dance.
- There are no nearby professional kitchens that can serve large groups or events, or serve as incubator kitchens for entrepreneurs.
- There are few spaces that can accommodate groups larger than 25 for meetings
- There are no local spaces that could serve as classrooms for workshops beyond the SAU campus
- There is no community garden
- There are few children’s playgrounds in the area, and no adult playgrounds for exercise and agility
- There is no public pool in the area
- There are very few exercise facilities in the area that offer accessible and inclusive courses
- There are no indoor walking tracks or indoor game spaces (beyond the SAU campus) that private groups may use during inclement weather or for league practice.
- The population of Hillsborough is aging and our young people are moving out of town. A center will give families a reason to stay in town, purchase property, and be invested in their community.
Sections That Will Draw Out-of-Area Visitors
- Auditorium and grounds: Weddings
- Auditorium and meeting rooms: Corporate events
- Community civic groups
- Drop-in use of pool, indoor track, game space, locker rooms
- Instructor use of exercise facilities
- Classroom – for workshops or meetings
- Entertainment event
- Theatrical, musical, or dance productions
- Art installations around the building
100 Potential Course Offerings
|Adult Basketball Leagues|
|Adult Beginner Swim Lessons|
|Adult Intermediate Swim Lessons|
|After Hours Pool Party|
|American Red Cross First Aid/CPR Training|
|Aqua Board Yoga|
|Art with Mixed Media|
|Basics of Money|
|Beginning Pen, Ink, and Watercolor|
|Build and Paint|
|Cardio Boot Camp|
|Creative Game Board Design|
|Draw and Enjoy|
|Earring, Bracelet, Necklace Making|
|Easter Egg Hunt|
|Family Fun Recreation Swim|
|Flea Marketing 101|
|Foster Parenting 101|
|Fundamentals of Photography|
|How to Garden with Mother Nature|
|Introduction to Karate Camp|
|Introduction to Tai Chi|
|Kids in the Kitchen|
|Kids in the Garden|
|Level 1, 2, 3, 4 Swim Lessons|
|Little Artist Academy|
|Making My Savings Work Harder for Me|
|Mommy & Me|
|Planting for Wildlife with Native Plants|
|Princesses & Knights|
|Private Swim Lessons|
|Retirement Planning Today|
|Saving for College|
|S.T.E.A.M. Club for Kids|
|Story Writing Made Easy|
|Strokes of a Brush|
|Summer Day Camp|
|Summer Day Camp Swim Lessons|
|Summer Sculpture Camp|
|Ten Week Turnaround|
|Toddler Play (Leisure Pool)|
|Tree Lighting Ceremony|
|Tutoring (school age)|
|Walk-a-thon Fundraiser (Indoor Track)|
|Warm Water Physical Therapy|
|Water Safety Instructor Course|
|Winter Arts & Craft Show|
|Women in the Water|
|Youth Basketball Leagues|
|Youth Lap Swim|